Recon (or ReCon) is a robust indica-leaning hybrid that provides an effective way to kick back and unwind. ReCon’s name refers in part to its genetics — it is descended from powerhouse hybrid LA Confidential. Cannadential is its other parent strain, imparting some aromatic funk. Recon is the brainchild of DNA Genetics, the creator of strains like Holy Grail and Chocolope. Sure to impress cannabis newbies and veterans alike, Recon’s sedative effects are said to last longer than average. This bud’s psychoactivity has been quantified at between 13% and 23% THC.
Recon’s flowers tend toward the smaller side and cling together in dense, popcorn-like formations. The buds are rounded and have the densely-packed structure most often association with indicas. The mossy green leaves curl tightly inward toward their central stems and are threaded through with dark, rust-colored hairs (which are actually pistils, structure meant to catch pollen from fertilizing male plants). Finally, blanket of icy white trichomes cover the inner and outer surfaces of these dense flowers, making them very sticky and difficult to break apart without a quality grinder.
On initial inspection, Recon’s flowers hit the nose with the sharp scent of pepper and cloves.
Examining the buds more closely reveals an underlying sweetness that verges on a dank, almost fermented musk. Meanwhile, grinding up or breaking open these tight buds yields subtle herbal notes. When Recon is combusted in a pipe or a joint, it gives off a harsh, acrid smoke that can irritate the smoker’s eyes or sinuses. This thick, rich smoke tastes sweet and hashy on the exhale.
Recon has a high that hits quickly for an indica. Almost immediately, a calm, melting sensation spreads down from the neck and outward through the core and limbs. Depending on the user’s set and setting as well as their individual tolerance, this numbing sensation may progress toward pseudo paralysis. Many consumers also report a trippy feeling of sensory distortion — this phenomenon can manifest as anything from an impaired visual depth perception to an intensification of sights and sounds to misleading sense of time dilation. If you’re so inclined, revel in these psychedelic effects by kicking back alone with some atmospheric music or an intense, engaging movie. This one-sided strain comes with little to no mental stimulation (unless you count the foggy, disoriented feeling that comes with the force of Recon’s physical high). As such, smokers shouldn’t plan on accomplishing a mountain of work while under Recon’s spell. Instead, enjoy this bud as a way to enhance small, laid-back gatherings or to spark a little intimacy and romance. As the high progresses or as dosage is increased, smokers can count on intractable couchlock — and even sleep. Because of its purely relaxing and immobilizing character, Recon is one strain best enjoyed at night or just before bed.
ReCon Type of High
Recon cannabis strain’s provides euphoria and mind relief, followed by a full-body tranquility and serene focus that won’t create anxiety.
ReCon Growing Info
- Flowering time: 74 – 85 Days
- Harvest time: 90 Days
- Yield indoor: 1 – 2 Oz/Ft² (~ 400 g/m²)
- Yield outdoor: 2 – 3 Oz/plant (~ 550 g/plant)
- Height indoor: 60-80
- Height outdoor: 60-80
- Grow difficulty: Difficult
- Flowering type: Photoperiod
Fortunately for home growers, DNA Genetics has made seeds of Recon available for sale online. The strain can be grown indoors or out, although successful outdoor cultivation requires a humid climate with consistent daytime temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Recon’s plants have a characteristically short and bushy indica silhouette, and growers should regularly trim away any broad fan-leaves that might block light and air from reaching any low-growing flowering nodes. Recon flowers within 8 to 9 weeks when grown indoors and is ready for harvest in late September to early October when grown outdoors.
ReCon Medical Benefits
- THC: 14.0 – 17.0%
- CBD: 0.01 – 0.92%
- CBC: 0.39 – 1.31%
- CBG: 0.11 – 2.5%
- CBN: 0.06 – 0.15%
- THCV: 0.26 – 1.9%
Recon may several applications for medical cannabis patients as well. Its thorough physical relaxation can be a great analgesic for aches and pains, whether they’re temporary, as in the case of injury, or chronic, as due to conditions like fibromyalgia or arthritis. The strain’s anti-inflammatory effects can also relieve everyday irritations like headaches and nausea. Psychologically speaking, Recon’s smooth, uplifting high may temporarily take the edge off of the troubling symptoms of stress, depression, and anxiety. As noted, in high enough doses, this strain can even induce a deep and restful sleep. Because it is unlikely to bring about any overly intense patterns of thinking, Recon may be a good option for those who are prone to anxiety or who have a low tolerance for THC.
ReCon Effect Similar Strains
- Willy Wonka: Willy Wonka is a purebred Sativa strain phenotype, created by Spanish seed company Mr. Natural after crossing the Willie Nelson and Sweet Tooth strains. It was nominated and got 3rd place in the concentrates category of the 2014 Denver Cannabis Cup both for its flavor and its impressive effects. The first thing that leaps to mind when we hear the name Willy Wonka is, of course, chocolate. But the smell of chocolate fades into the background, giving way to a sharp citrus aroma with notes of apricot. Its flavor is sweet with pine notes and a musky aftertaste of dark chocolate.
- White Cherry Truffle: White Cherry Truffle is a slightly indica dominant hybrid strain (60% indica/40% sativa) created through a potent cross of the(2012 Chemdog Special Reserve X Cherry Lime #4) X Highland Afghan strains. Named for its insanely delicious flavor, this gorgeous bud will have you begging for more after just one toke. White Cherry Truffle tastes exactly how it sounds – like sweet cherries and chocolate. The aroma takes on a slightly spicier, more pungent turn with sweet cherries and chocolate accented by diesel and earth and a touch of fresh rose. The White Cherry Truffle high is perfect for any hybrid lover, with full-bodied effects that will have you kicking back in no time at all. It starts in the head with a stoney lifted euphoria that quickly spreads from limb to limb, settling you down into a deeply relaxing and slightly sedative body stone, a state that often ends in sleep. Thanks to these effects and its high 15-25% average THC level, White Cherry Truffle is often chosen to treat chronic pain, migraines or headaches, depression, insomnia and mood swings. This bud has small dense forest green nugs with light purple undertones, bright orange hairs and a coating of tiny bright white crystal trichomes.
- Chupacabra: Chupacabra is a rare evenly balanced hybrid (50% indica/50% sativa) strain created through crossing the powerful Hawaiian Romulan X Island Sweet Skunk X Gupta Kush strains. This bud is hard to come by outside of the Hawaiian area, but trust us – you’ll be coming back for more after you taste its unique flavor and feel its long-lasting high. Chupacabra has a taste that’s initially very sweet and fruity, but takes a savory skunky turn upon exhale with notable hints of vanilla. The smell is of pungent earth with a skunky pungency and rotting tropical fruit effect that’s released as the nugs are burned. Chupacabra buds have flat long dark olive green nugs with purple undertones and bright amber hairs that are completely coated in matching dark amber crystal trichomes. The Chupacabra high is just as satisfying as the effects, creeping up on you slowly and lasting for hours on end without having to re-dose. The high starts with a euphoric lift that infuses you with a temporary sense of energy and focus. As your head high grows, this effect will quickly become sedative, lulling you into a hazy introspective state and leaving your body open to falling into the same sleepy state. Thanks to these effects and its high 15-20% average THC level, Chupacabra is often chosen to treat conditions such as chronic pain, headaches or migraines, depression, stress, and muscle spasms or cramps.
In Conclusion, the weed is great. It is a bit to strong for me. And I do not think it is a good choice for someone who is not familiar with or doesn’t have considerable experience toking. But if you do then this citrusy, green bud with brown hairs will rock your world. Just make sure you have plenty of toilet paper, in case.
Lovely strain for a nice relaxing feeling. This last batch had a very pungent wine fragrance and a sweet flavor to it. If you come across this strain I would suggest trying it out!