Who doesn’t love sneaking a bit of cookie dough from the bowl as mom makes her homemade goodies? With the Cookie Dough strain, you’ll be just as tempted – with its sweet and cookie-like flavor that is simply irresistible. This dessert-like strain can also induce a spacy, cerebral high and boost your energy levels thanks to it’s super high THC average of 22%.
Of all the different types of sweets and baked goods ever created, there are few that could possibly surpass the secret pleasure of cookie dough. Though uncooked and supposedly dangerous to eat, there is simply nothing better than tasting that sweet, tender ball of cookie dough, filled with uncooked chocolate chips.
Unfortunately, adults can’t often get to experience this secret pleasure of cookie dough, as that is firmly in the territory of being too childish, right?
However, there is one way to enjoy a whole myriad of different nostalgic flavors as an adult – marijuana strains. For those that want to enjoy the private, childish pleasure of cookie dough, there is a suitably named strain called Cookie Dough.
Let’s take a look at the Cookie Dough strain and evaluate whether or not it has any other merit, besides its sweet, innocent flavor.
- Effects: Creative, Giggly, Happy, Hungry
- Taste: Candy, Citrus, Diesel, Lemon, Lime, Nutty
- Side Effects: Dizzy, Thirst and dry mouth, Low blood pressure
- Helps with: ADD/ADHD, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Insomnia, Loss of Appetite, PTSD, Stress
- Flavors: Mint, Orange, Skunky, Sweet
- Aromas: Mint, Sweet
- Breeder: Unknown
- Lineage: Unknown
All About Cookie Dough
As might be expected from a strain called Cookie Dough, this strain is derived from the sweetest marijuana family there is: Girl Scout Cookies. This means that the predominant flavor profile of the strain is going to lean towards sweetness, though Cookie Dough offers a deeper layer of complexity, both in its effects and its flavor.
As a phenotype of Girl Scout Cookies, you might expect Cookie Dough to have a similar list of effects to the normally quite mild intensity of Girl Scout Cookies. However, Cookie Dough is well known for its sudden hit of intensely strong, overpowering effects, so much so that it is one of the strains that regular consumers always recommend inexperienced newbies to stay away from.
Cookie Dough is an excellent example of a perfect hybrid, as it has an equal blend of both sativa and indica in its genetics, allowing for an interesting medley of the two different types of effects.
You can expect the high from Cookie Dough to hit you very quickly, causing a sudden tension and pressure in your head, leaving you feeling slow and a bit debilitated. However, this will shortly pass, to be replaced by a strong cerebral intensity that will make you think that you have suddenly begun thinking on another plane of existence.
For those that are inexperienced with stronger strains, there is a risk of getting some uncomfortable mind race, as well as generally anxious or uncomfortable thoughts. However, as long as you remain calm and even-keeled, you should be able to weather it until the next development of this strangely elongated high.
After a period of adjustment, you can expect to begin experiencing some mild psychedelic feelings, as well as a general sensation of the impermanence of the things around you. This is backed up by a pretty strong body high that leaves you feeling buzzed and energetic. You will likely be laughing far more than you are used to, as well as enjoying music and those around you a lot more.
This is a great strain to enjoy with friends or, if you are looking for a more trippy experience, on your own while listening to profound music or watching a film. Some people even swear by taking Cookie Dough and then walking through an art gallery, so as to truly experience the range of different colors and feelings.
These effects are far more profound and significant than its parent Girl Scout Cookies, so Cookie Dough will always be a strain that you only take if you are absolutely sure you can handle it.
Cookie Dough Type of High
Cookie Dough marijuana strain induces strong body buzz. Uplifts mood, relieves anxiety and stress. Followed by sedation and sleep. Provides pain and nausea control, stimulates appetite, helps with insomnia. May cause dizziness, mouth and eye dryness.
Cookie Dough Aroma
Cookie Dough has an interesting aroma profile, redolent of cookie batter and offering a decent level of sweetness. To break up the one-note character, there are also slight hints of berries and citrusy undertones that become noticeable upon grinding the buds.
Cookie Dough Flavor
Cookie Dough’s smoke is unexpectedly easy on the lungs and enjoyable. There’s no harsh burn or irritation no matter how hot the temperatures are.
There’s a dominant hint of berry that carries on to your tongue on the exhale. The whole flavor is sweet and intense, with citrusy notes being slightly detectable on the palate. The transition from sweet to sour flavors — and the other way round — makes for a great treat for all flavor chasers out there.
Cookie Dough Appearance
Appearance-wise, Cookie Dough looks nothing like its culinary equivalent. In fact, this strain has a bright violet sheen caused by its unique pigment development within the plant’s structure.
Other than that, Cookie Dough resembles a typical 50/50 hybrid. The buds are bulky and clustered together in a popcorn-like shape, but the sugar leaves are somewhat fluffy, threaded through with orange pistils to catch the pollen from male plants.
The buds are coated with a generous layer of translucent trichomes that create a shining blanket on their surface. These trichomes are indicative of the strain’s above-average potency.
Cookie Dough Growing Info
- Flowering time: 53 – 63 Days
- Harvest time: 69 Days
- Yield indoor: 0 0.5 – 1 Oz/Ft² (~ 300 g/m²)
- Yield outdoor: 1 – 2 Oz/plant (~ 400 g/plant)
- Height indoor: 60-80
- Height outdoor: 90 >
- Grow difficulty: Easy
- Flowering type: Photoperiod
The first thing to note about trying to grow your own Cookie Dough is that you are going to have a particularly hard time trying to find seeds for yourself. Due to the fact that Cookie Dough breeders haven’t yet made the seeds available online, you have to instead rely on live clippings from friends or nearby growers, all of which would make usable clones.
This has also created a bit of a secretive culture around the growing strategies behind Cookie Dough, as it seems to be a bit of a trade secret. However, thanks to its similarity to its parent strain, Girl Scout Cookies, we can safely expect that it will have a pretty similar growing style.
Able to be grown both indoors and out, Cookie Dough will typically flower in about nine to ten weeks. Like Girl Scout Cookies, it is going to be quite resilient to different temperatures – what’s more, if you really enjoy the purple hue of properly cured Cookie Dough, then make sure you expose it to colder temperatures periodically, as this allows its purple pigments to develop in place of its green chlorophyll, fully bringing out its unique coloration.
Once you harvest your Cookie Dough, make sure you cure it properly, keeping it well dried and avoiding all sources of unnecessary humidity. As this strain is so delicate, even the smallest amount of humidity can seriously damage the final product. Make sure you also keep checking it for signs of powdery mildew or any kind of mold as well.
Once you have got your Cookie Dough all harvested and processed, just what kind of THC content can you expect?
THC Content – Highest Test
As Cookie Dough is a phenotype of Girl Scout Cookies, you can expect a similar strength in its THC content. However, Cookie Dough takes it one step further, offering reported highest THC readings of 25% THC, with an average content of around 22%.
This makes Cookie Dough a potent strain, able to knock even experienced users off of their feet and out of their minds. Make sure that you don’t take too much at any one time, as this will likely cause you to practically lose your mind thanks to the massive quantities of THC.
CBD Content – Highest Test
As is almost always the case with strains that have been bred to be as high strength and filled with THC as possible, there isn’t really any decent information about the CBD content of the Cookie Dough strain.
Some reports have found that their Cookie Dough has between zero and 10% CBD, which is not exactly a helpful range of possibilities.
However, you can expect that you won’t really find any kind of CBD content in your Cookie Dough, so if you are looking for a strain with a high CBD content to treat specific conditions, you are better off looking elsewhere.
Medical Benefits of the Cookie Dough Strain
- THC: 17.0 – 21.0%
- CBD: 0.08 – 0.64%
- CBC: 0.11 – 1.4%
- CBG: 0.27 – 1.3%
- CBN: 0.07 – 0.26%
- THCV: 0.44 – 1.06%
As with many hybrids that boast a strong THC content, Cookie Dough is commonly used to help treat all manner of different mental issues.
Most commonly, Cookie Dough is used to dealing with recurring stress and issues arising from depression. By being able to uplift your mood and take you to a better mental state, Cookie Dough is great for getting through tough days with mental stresses, allowing you to mellow out, relax and process what is going on in your life.
Due to its high THC content, you can expect it to be generally useful for treating all kinds of different problems that are affected by THC, especially issues arising from pain or inflammation. Users of Cookie Dough are typically looking for a way to try and medicate their chronic pain or arthritis, all while also being able to enjoy the smooth, doughy taste of raw cookie dough while they imbibe.
However, all good things must necessarily come accompanied by some side effects, so what kinds of adverse reactions can you expect from Cookie Dough?
Cookie Dough Side Effects
Cookie Dough is a strain with a massive quantity of THC, so you should definitely try to avoid this strain if you are prone to feelings of deep anxiety or paranoia as a result of marijuana.
For many people, anxiety and paranoia are completely unheard of, never cropping up in their daily lives; that is until they try some marijuana that is rich in THC. Though it is difficult to predict if you are one of these unlucky people, it is best to steer clear of this strain if you have ever battled with anxiety or paranoia, especially as a result of trying different marijuana strains in the past.
Cookie Dough Similar Strains
- Cookie Monster: Cookie Monster cannabis is claimed to be one of the best Indica-dominant hybrids. In 2014 it won the first prize in Seattle’s High Times Cannabis Cup as the best Indica of the US. Cookie Monster Strain is a child of a famous Girl Scout Cookies and OG Kush. The crossing between these two legendary strains builds an interesting combination of scents. Cookie Monster’s buds smell like mint and pine having on the background the tastes of lime, herbs, lemon and vanilla.
- Monster Cookies: Monster Cookies is an indica-dominant hybrid that builds on some strong and flavorful genetics. This strain is a cross between the omnipresent Girl Scout Cookies and the flavorful and eye-catching Granddaddy Purple. This background gives the flowers a relaxing high and a complex, fruity taste. Although it’s known to be a potent variety, cannabis testing lab Analytical 360 has found Monster Cookies to have a modest range of 10% to 15% THC composition.
- Sour Kush: Sour Kush is a cross between OG Kush and Sour Diesel. It is a hybrid cannabis strain, featuring both Indica and Sativa effects, although it is Indica dominant. This relaxing blend will leave users feeling relaxed and euphoric, with an enjoyable boost in overall happiness. THC content of Sour Kush is around 20% to 22%. While this can be a great strain to wake and bake with, it’s advisable to be wary of dosing to high and becoming lazy and couch locked in the process. You may also find yourself frequenting the kitchen as well, rummaging through the fridge in search of snacks.
- OG Kush: OG Kush is a legendary strain with a name that has recognition even outside of the cannabis world. Despite its fame, though, its exact origins remain a mystery. Some claim that it’s a cross between staple Chemdawg and a hardy Hindu Kush landrace. It’s also possible that OG Kush emerged from undocumented bag seed as a distinct phenotype of some other existing strain. The meaning of its name is also disputed — the “OG” has been alternately said to stand for: “original gangster,” connoting its status as an old-school building block strain; “ocean grown,” in reference to its origin along the California coast; and even “OverGrown.com,” a now-defunct website that served as a resource for countless cannabis growers. One thing that’s not up for debate is OG Kush’s potency — its THC composition has been consistently measured at between 20% and 25%.
- Grape Ape: Grape Ape is a tasty, memorable strain with strong indica roots. Its distinctive look and complex fruity flavor makes it an easy favorite — to say nothing of its incredibly potent body high. Grape Ape is the product of strains as different as Mendocino Purps, an award-winning Northern California crossbreed, the influential staple strain Skunk, and a legendary Afghani landrace. The combination of these nuances has yielded a bold and visually striking variety.
Finally, you can also expect the gauntlet of regular symptoms of high-strength marijuana, like dry mouth and dry eyes, but these are so commonplace that it would almost feel strange to not have to deal with them.